Thursday, November 19, 2015

Who is Jimmy Wee

- The Straits Times/ANN
A customer in Singapore wanted a dishwasher suffering from a genetic disorder to be sacked, but his employer said he would continue working despite his condition. Singaporean tabloid The New Paper reported that Jimmy Wee, who suffers from neurofibromatosis, had been employed for three months when a customer complained about him to his employer.


The employer, who did not want to be named, said the customer was disturbed when she ran into Wee at the back of the restaurant and she wanted him fired. "I was taken aback by how unkind people can be. I would rather lose her as a customer.


My stand is that Jimmy is a good, hard worker. When I hired him, he even asked if I was sure that I would hire someone like that," she said.


Neurofibromatosis refers to three genetic disorders called NF1, NF2 and Schwannamatosis, which often cause tumors to grow on the nerves on those born with one of the disorders.


Despite his condition, Wee said "good fortune and a kind boss", allowed him to work as a dishwasher in a Chinese restaurant since early 2015.


When asked his experience as a dishwasher and being ridiculed by some people due to his condition he replied; "Oh, the soap water does not bother me".


Wee did the same in his previous jobs as a car wash attendant and a dishwasher in Suntec City.
"I do not want to embarrass my boss. When I heard that a customer complained about me, I felt so guilty for causing my boss problems.


"I was thankful she sided with me."


He said that he has endured being the object of ridicule for years, but said that someone would come to his defence almost every time.


He recalls being told to leave a hawker centre by a couple, while he was having a meal there some years ago.


"They said that people with my type of body should just stay at home and not come out. They wanted me gone.


"A stranger came forward and scolded them, saying that he was a doctor. Then someone else also came forward, saying that he was a lawyer and would sue them," he said.


Wee, who has four brothers and two sisters said he was depressed at first when he realised he had the condition.


"It would cost me around S$100,000 (RM307,671) to go through plastic surgery and remove these bumps, but I won't go through the operation.


"I let other people say what they like about me.


"I have a job, and I am earning my own keep. If people want to give me money, I will ask them to give to charity instead," said Wee.

No comments:

Post a Comment