Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tan Sri Ramon V Navaratnam


In his memoir, prominent Malaysian economist Tan Sri Ramon V. Navaratnam writes candidly of his life and times, and the issues that irked him
Bissme S.


TO WRITE in a way that is honest, sincere and not offensive: that is one of the challenges that Tan Sri Ramon V. Navaratnam faced when writing his memoir, My Life and Times: A Memoir.
"I have to constantly review and revise the sensitive political issues that I have highlighted so that it will not cause any misunderstandings," says the 75-year-old father of three and grandfather of four.

The memoir traced his early years as a child during the Japanese Occupation to his college days and his almost 30 years working for the government, the majority of which was as an economist in the Treasury department, including his promotion to deputy secretary-general of the Finance Ministry in 1979 and secretary-general of the Transport Ministry in 1986.

After his retirement in 1989, Ramon took on the job of CEO of Bank Buruh for five years and is currently the corporate adviser to the Sunway Group.

In My Life and Times: A Memoir, Ramon not only wrote about his life but also stated his opinion on many issues considered sensitive – from the abuse of the NEP (New Economic Policy) to the deplorable state of the Tamil schools.

Ramon is ready to face any brickbats and criticisms that are thrown at him with the publication of his memoir. But he says any criticism must be valid. "Anybody who wants to criticise me must do it on a good basis. That means they must find my information inaccurate and that I’m trying to be provocative.

"If I wrote it as a fact and it had a moral to it, then I think I have a right to express my opinion. "

Ramon’s nationalistic sentiment can be found all over the book. "I hate it when people say ‘this can only happened in this country’," he says. "It is as if they are a great wise sage who has travelled all around the world and can make comparative studies.

"It is the same all over the world. Human beings are human beings … they cheat, they lie and they play politics. It is only at different degrees.

"I am really ashamed to learn that there are five million Malaysians who have not registered as voters! These are the same people who will sit down in the coffee shops and criticise the country."

He says that any kind of extremist and racial supremacy views are bad. "You can see what’s happened in Germany and many parts of the world.

"I am afraid of the silent majority. They do not speak up. You tell me how many people speak up in this country."

Ramon hopes his book will provide a little insight on his generation to today’s youngsters.

"Born just before World War II, my generation had struggled and endured the trials and tribulations during the Japanese Occupation," he says.

"Somehow, we survived and moved along as our country moved towards independence. We became the first generation of Malaysians who had the privilege to lay the foundation of independence and the formation of modern Malaysia."

Ramon adds that he is not one for complaining. "Grumbling and complaining, it can be soul destroying. You will become unproductive and negative. My biggest strength is that I never allowed myself to be bitter, angry or negative. I always kept away from those who grumble and complain."

He declares that there is a no greater satisfaction than serving your country. "There are more things in life than money and fame," says this author of economic tomes such as Managing the Malaysian Economy, Malaysia’s Economic Recovery, Malaysia’s Economic Sustainability, and Malaysia’s Socioeconomic Challenges – Winds of Change.

My Life and Times: A Memoir is priced at RM60 and available at major bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment