Friday, July 4, 2014

Who Is Liew Mun Leong

Liew Mun Leong is ultra wealthy. But he has this to say of his wealth: "I never think of wealth as anything that is important in my life. I always tell people I never think of becoming a CEO, I never think of becoming a millionaire in my life. I think of survival."

At a recent interview at his Changi Airport Group (CAG) office where he is chairman: "As long as I can survive and live reasonably well, and loved ones are attended to, that is enough for me. I never take wealth as a driving force in my life, never. Once you are driven too much by wealth, you may not be a wholesome person."

Ironic words from someone who set a record for being the highest paid chief executive officer in corporate Singapore when his salary in 2007 topped $20 million for helping CapitaLand rake in net profits of $2.76 billion that year. That record is still unbroken.

"If I have $10 million or $20 million, what's the difference? In my whole life I've only had one car. A lot of people in my position will have three, four or five cars, but I only have one car and the purpose is to take me from point A to B. I can get a good car, I've a BMW, but I only have one."

He shares that he has the same pared down approach to his home: "I live in a semi-D. My architect tells me you can go and buy 25,000 square feet of land and build a big bungalow. But why do I need a big bungalow? I don't see value in it, I don't see any motivation because I'm happy where I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment