Thursday, August 10, 2017

Who Is M Indira Gandhi

“I am totally devastated and heartbroken. It was an eight-year long battle for me,” said M. Indira Gandhi, the mother at the centre of a long-running case involving unilateral conversion.
Indira, who previously appealed against unilateral conversion, expressed her disappointment at the removal of clause 88A from the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) (Amendment) Bill 2017 (LRA).
"I am totally devastated and heartbroken. It was an eight year long battle for me," she said when met in Parliament on Wednesday.
She has been fighting with the law since 2009, when her ex-husband Muhammad Riduan Abdullah, who had converted to Islam, converted all three of their children too without her knowledge.
He had also taken away their youngest child, Prasana Diksa, while she was still a baby.
“I have been to Parliament numerous times and I have seen so many lawmakers about this matter.
“I have been hoping to get justice, and eight years is a very long time. We were given a promise and that is not being done.
“I cannot see a future for myself or my children. What do I do? Where do we go from here? What is the solution for people like me and my daughter (Tevi Darshiny)?” she added.
Indira said she had not seen her youngest daughter Prasana in the last eight years.
“She was taken without my consent and I have not seen her once since then. No mother should have to go through what I have. Where is the solution?” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment