Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Sorry - No Gift Please

"No more gifts, please" – this was the advice given by Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook when offered two mobile phones upon launching an e-hailing service today (Aug 21). 
Loke stressed this point when he was offered a Huawei P20 handphone and Huawei Nova 3i after launching diffride, a new e-hailing service.
"I'm sorry, but I'm unable to accept as I am sure they cost more than RM500," he said.
The two mobile phones are actually worth almost RM4,000. Later, during the press conference, Loke said ministers had to "walk the talk" and refuse gifts when invited to launch events.
"We have to walk the talk and not accept such tokens of appreciation. We don't need such appreciation," he said.
Loke said rejecting such gifts was in line with the Pakatan Harapan Government's policy.
"I want to remind event organisers not to give me gifts. I don't need such gifts. Just invite me, and I will come to launch the function," he added.
On June 8, after taking over the Government, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad announced a no-gift policy for ministers and their political secretaries.
Currently, this regulation only covers civil servants.8.99

No comments:

Post a Comment