Monday, March 11, 2019

Who Is Mariam Ayub




Mariam walks behind as her son Mohd Sahir, who has learning disability, pushes their food cart daily for about 8km to their trading spot by the road divider to sell various types of kuih, fried noodles and fried rice.


Working hours under the sun and walking almost 8km a day is no easy feat for an elderly person. But this has been the daily routine for Mariam Ayub, 62, ever since her husband passed away due to complications from diabetes in 2013.
She has been selling Malay ‘kuih’, fried noodles and fried rice in the middle of the road by a divider with her 34-year-old son Mohd Sahir Rozalee, who has learning disability.
When the traffic light turns red at the traffic light junction in front of Universiti Teknologi Mara in Permatang Pauh, Penang, they would approach motorists and motorcyclist to sell food to them.
“I don’t mind walking under the hot sun or getting wet in the rain. It’s my livelihood... at least, I’m not begging for alms. As long as I’m capable and I can walk, I will continue working. I always tell others who are facing difficulties to go out and do some work. As long as they are physically able, they should work and not depend on others,” she said when met at her house in Kampung Permatang Janggus, Permatang Pauh.
Rain or shine, Mariam begins her day by preparing various types of ‘kuih’, fried noodles and fried rice as early as 6am. She and her son would then push their cart for almost 8km before they start selling by the roadside between 2pm and 8pm.
Asked if she ever felt weary from all the walking every day, she replied: “I’m used to walking.
“Like my late husband, I’ve diabetes too and I think all that walking I do has helped to keep the disease under control. For me and my son, walking is our daily exercise,” she added with a smile.
When met at her run-down house in Permatang Pauh, Mariam said that the house was the only property left behind by her late husband, who used to work in a factory.
“The house is old and the roof is leaking,” she said, adding that she had to resort to making and selling ‘kuih’ and other foodstuff to generate income after her husband passed away. My son is not capable of working independently, so he helps me with my business. He is the one who pushes the food cart as I find it too tiring to do so,” said Mariam.
As Mariam and Mohd Sahir are in the B40 group, they receive zakat aid and a cost of living allowance from the Social Welfare Department. Mariam said although the financial aid helped to relieve their hardship, it was not enough to meet their monthly expenses.
That was when she decided to start a small food business to supplement their income.
When she first started her business, she received cash donations and also a refrigerator, pushcart, groceries and other items from well-wishers, some of whom she did not even know.
“I hope my story can inspire other single mothers, especially those with special children, to stand on their feet and not to resort to begging,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment