Friday, January 1, 2016

Who Is Waliuddin Chua

A screengrab from a YouTube video showing Waliuddin Chua at his makeshift doughnut stall. He now sells from his house. – YouTube screengrab, January 1, 2016.
“I just love doughnuts, that’s why I want others to enjoy them as I do”.

Waliuddin Chua, 24, who started selling doughnuts earlier this month, has become an online sensation after his story went viral on Facebook. The graphic designer decided to sell doughnuts at an affordable price after seeing a family with young children looking at the sweet treats at a shop but  could not afford them.

“I really love doughnuts and I want people to enjoy it as much as I do, but at a cheaper and affordable price. My intention is to help them fill their bellies and put a smile on their faces.” Waliuddin, who lives in Taman Maluri, was selling from a makeshift stall located outside a flat in the area.

Despite the popularity of his doughnuts, Waliuddin is not looking to make a big profit.
He said some customers would donate sugar and flour to help him cover the costs for making the doughnuts. They also gave us an extra ringgit or two as an act of generosity. I usually make RM4 for every 100 doughnuts sold. I do have a little bit of profit, but it’s not that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment