Monday, January 4, 2016

Who Is Zunar

zunarI’m a cartoonist in a country where cartooning can be a crime. Under my pen name, Zunar, I expose corruption and abuses of power by the Malaysian government. For instance, Prime Minister Najib Razak is currently facing questions about a $700 million “donation” made to his personal bank account. The legal assault against me is nothing new, but it marks a major escalation. The authorities have repeatedly sought to silence me. My office has been raided multiple times since 2009, and authorities have confiscated thousands of my cartoon books. In 2010, five of my books – including 1 Funny Malaysia – were banned by the home affairs minister, who declared the contents “detrimental to public order”. Later that year I was detained by police and locked up for two days after the publication of Cartoon-O-Phobia.

No comments:

Post a Comment